Bilingual Storytime at Your Biblioteca
Instructor: Katie Scherrer
Dates: April 2nd to 27th, 2018
Credits: 1.5 CEUs
This 4-week, online course teaches participants how to present bilingual storytimes (English/Spanish) for various ages, regardless of their own language skills. Video demonstrations, articles, online resources and course discussions direct students as they learn how to successfully deliver the various elements of bilingual storytimes, either on their own or with a bilingual community partner. Participants will discover new books, rhymes, songs, plans and resources that they can immediately put to use in their bilingual storytime programs.
- Students will learn how to select and use the following components in bilingual storytime: books, songs, rhymes, fingerplays, and stories for telling aloud.
- Students will experiment with incorporating bilingual materials into their existing storytime programs.
- Students will select books and other materials they can use to increase inclusion of Latino culture and the Spanish language in their English storytime programs.
- Students will develop strategies for working with bilingual community partners to present and market bilingual storytime.
- Students will gain an increased understanding of the early literacy and school readiness needs of Latino children.
- Students will articulate how bilingual storytime supports the early literacy and school readiness needs of Latino children, and identify online resources for sharing early literacy and school readiness information with Spanish-speaking parents.
- Students will each develop two bilingual storytime plans.
NOTE: This course does not address outreach/marketing to Latinos and Spanish-speakers, and is best suited for libraries that are already successfully serving these communities. Libraries interested in learning how to establish or improve services to Latino and Spanish-speaking families are encouraged to take the course, “Building Relationships, Building Bridges: Library Outreach and Marketing to Latino and Spanish-Speaking Families.”
This course is part of our Certificate in Early Childhood Literacy, but can be taken as a stand-alone course as well.
Katie Scherrer is a library consultant and training specialist whose work focuses on improving library services to Latino and Spanish-speaking children and families. She is the co-author (along with Jamie Campbell Naidoo) of Once Upon a Cuento: Bilingual Storytimes in English and Spanish, available from ALA Editions. Katie has presented many workshops on bilingual storytime and library services to Latino families for librarians and early childhood educators across the country. Katie's Website, Interview with Katie Scherrer
This is an online class that is taught asynchronously, meaning that participants do the work on their own time as their schedules allow. The class does not meet together at any particular times, although the instructor may set up optional sychronous chat sessions. Instruction includes readings and assignments in one-week segments. Class participation is in an online forum environment.
You can register in this course through the first week of instruction (as long as enrollment is not full). The "Register" button above goes to our credit card payment gateway, which may be used with personal or institutional credit cards. (Be sure to use the appropriate billing address). If you want to pay with Paypal, or if your institution wants us to send a billing statement or wants to pay using a purchase order, please contact us by email to make arrangements.