Digital Scholarship: New Metrics, New Modes
Instructor: Marcus Banks
Dates: Not currently scheduled
Credits: 1.5 CEUs
The Web enables new means of publishing and sharing knowledge, but our tools for evaluating the rigor of scholarly research have not kept pace with these possibilities. Bibliometrics has not yet gone digital, but signs of change are emerging. By the end of this four week course, participants will have a thorough grounding in dominant metrics for evaluating scholarly rigor, as well as some promising alternates that improve upon shortcomings of the status quo. Examples of how to apply each metric will be presented, supplemented by guest talks or podcasts from the people developing new tools. For the final project, class participants will apply what they've learned to a collection development challenge at their own institutions; or utilize the concepts presented to propose a theory for new modes of scholarly communication.
Outline of class topics by week:
1. Overview of impact factor--history, uses, strengths, weaknesses
2. Alternatives to impact factor 1--Eigenfactor: uses, strengths, weaknesses
3. Alternatives to impact factor 2--Altmetrics: uses, strengths, weaknesses
4. Final projects--application to local situation; development of a theory for scholarly communication
* Logic of sequence: Eigenfactor is a "narrower" challenge to the impact factor, altmetrics a more broad-based challenge that questions fundamental assumptions more than Eigenfactor
Marcus Banks earned his MLIS from Dominican University in 2002, and has worked at the National Library of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, the University of California San Francisco and was the Director of Library/Academic & Instructional Innovation at Samuel Merritt University. Alternative means of creating and assessing scholarly work are his chief interests, and he looks forward to teaching this online course. CV, blog. Interview with Marcus
Contact us to arrange a special session of this class for a group of seven or more, with a negotiable discount.